The Chronicles of Cthulhu

Wherein the investigators are asked to track down a long lost son

Fitz receives a telegram marked “urgent” from a mother looking for her lost child. The woman’s name is Mary Longman of Innsmouth. Seeing in this the possibility of a monetary reward, Fitz gathers Marabelle, Sam, and his assistant Landers and all head for the Timbleton Arms apartments in Arkham. There, they find an attractive looking woman who appears to be in her early thirties, and it turns out that the case isn’t exactly what it appeared to be. The “child” in question, Mark Longman (his name at birth), is in his early twenties. It seems that Ms. Longman gave birth to him at age 17, and her parents persuaded her to give him up for adoption. She is evasive when confronted as to the identity of the father, and in fact seems to want minimal questions asked regarding the circumstances of the birth. She offers the reward, and after some bargaining, the group splits up. Marabelle, and Fitz head to Innsmouth to talk to the attending physician (Dr. Rowly Marsh) and Samuel and Landers meet up with Ellie, who as it happened was already in Arkham studying at the Miskatonic library, to see if the local newspaper has any information regarding the adoption or the Longman family. The inquiry at the newspaper proves fruitless, even after a large bribe from Samuel, and so he and Landers head back to Boston to gather some supplies for a stay in Innsmouth.

Fitz and Marabelle visit the office of Dr. Rowly Marsh. They ask him if he specifically remembers the birth of Mark Longman, and he has a vague recollection of it but nothing stood out. He allowed them to go through his birth records, where they found the chart for Mark Longman, born in March of 1901, and the mother is listed as Mary Longman, with no father’s name included. The child was born at home, and so an address was listed on the birth record. Dr. Marsh verified that the child was given up for adoption, but explained that he did not have any record of that process and suggested that they check town hall. He claimed not to have seen Mark around or spoken with him since the birth.

Fitz and Marabelle find suitable lodgings in Innsmouth: a run down hotel called the Gilman House. They seem to be a topic of interest among the locals, met with glares and a general unfriendly attitude. They also notice that the inhabitants seem to have a similar look about them, as though they were all related, and rough, scaly skin about the neck. Mr. Charles Gilman, the night clerk at the hotel, shows them to adjoining rooms. They also secure rooms for Samuel and Landers. The doors don’t bolt properly. Landers and Samuel arrive later that night, find the hotel, and inform the others that Ellie would join them the next day.

Ellie makes it to Innsmouth on time, and they all meet for breakfast at the Innsmouth Cafe to share information and form a game plan. They decide to form two groups again, sending Fitz and Ellie to Town Hall and Sam and Marabelle to the Longman house as listed on the birth document they found at Dr. Marsh’s office.

When Sam and Marabelle arrive, they find the place deserted and run down. They asked some neighbors about the Longman family, and are told that Mary’s parents were named John and Andrea. John was a fisherman, the main trade in the town of Innsmouth. The house was abandoned around 1910. According to the neighbor, the fishing trade in Innsmouth began to lapse around that time, and many families lost their homes as a result.

Meanwhile, at Town Hall, Fitz and Ellie speak with Eustis Eliot, the desk clerk there. She seems as unfriendly and unyielding as the rest of the town (and resistant to the offer of a bribe), but enigmatically changes her tune when the name Mary Longman is mentioned. She becomes friendly and helpful, and shows them to the records room. Their search produces interesting results: the birth certificate of an Andrea Longman née Whateley is found, date of birth listed as 31 December, 1825. They do not find a death certificate. Further searching finds a birth and death certificate for a John Longman, born 2 February, 1821, and the death certificate is dated in 1859 of “natural causes”. They also find the birth certificate of Mary Longman, dated 31 August, 1855, all of which seems to contradict Ms. Longman’s and Dr. Marsh’s assertions that she was seventeen at the time of her son’s birth. They also find adoption papers for Mark Longman, from March of 1901 by Mr. and Mrs. Allen and Annette March, along with an address. Fitz remarks that these records ought to be sealed, and wonders why they were given such easy access to them. As they leave, they encounter Ms. Eliot once again and Fitz asks her whether she knows anything about the Marches. She informs them that when Allen passed away, Annette went to live with her sister in Arkham. She knows nothing about Mark’s whereabouts. Ellie departs to meet with the others at the appointed time, and Fitz stays and does one more search under the name “March”, and turns up a death certificate for Allen, who passed away in 1904 of a “misadventure”.

The group meets for lunch, exchanges information, and splits up into groups again. Sam and Ellie decide to go ask around at the Docks, to see if anybody knew the Marches or the Longmans, since both were fishermen. Fitz and Marabelle decide to go back to Dr. Marsh’s office.

At the docks, Sam and Ellie are met with that same unfriendly attitude by most of the fishermen and workers there. They do manage to speak with a Dewy Smith, who is in his late thirties and moved to Innsmouth about twenty years ago. He does remember the Marches, and explains that Allen died when a sudden storm hit and he fell overboard and became entangled in a fishing net, which is a common fishing accident. He does not know the Longmans.

Fitz and Marabelle find that Dr. Marsh is not in his office, and so return to the Town Hall, where Ms. Eliot is working once again. She remembers Fitz, and allows them to search the records room again. They cannot find any record of Annette March or her sister, Jane. They learn that Dr. Marsh’s grandfather, Captain Obed Marsh, was one of the town’s founders. They are given Dr. Marsh’s home address andthey go there to look for him. At the home, a woman answers the door and agrees to have Dr. Marsh meet the allegedly ill investigators back at his office. At the office, Dr. Marsh claims to not recall having seen the investigators the previous day, and denies any knowledge of the Marches.

When the group meets back up to exchange their experiences, they decide to head back to Arkham to see if they can dig up any further information there. Ellie goes back to the Harriet Botsford Hotel for Women, where she had been staying to see to her lodgings, and Fitz and Marabelle head to a local hotel to see about rooms for the rest of the group.

Meanwhile, Sam goes to the Arkham police station to speak with Detective Mickey Harrigan. Harrigan knows nothing about the adoption, and suggests that Sam speak with Detective Ray Stuckie, who was not in the office at the time. Sam decides to speak with Captain William Keats, who knows that Annette March’s sister, Jane, is married to Thomas Jefferies, who owns a successful stationary store. He also tells Sam that Mrs. March passed away shortly after moving to Arkham with her adopted son, who was then raised by the Jefferies.

Fitz calls his employer to ask for an advance. When she did not want to provide it and began asking him questions about their progress, he asked her about the contradictory information on her parents’ death certificates and her own birth certificate. She denies knowledge of her parents’ deaths and claims that her own birth certificate was incorrect, that she was born in 1884. Fitz argues with her, and she decides that she does not like the way that this increasingly expensive relationship is progressing and fires Fitz. Later, he stops by Ms. Longman’s apartment building to drop off his expenses for the work he had done for her and receive payment. Ms. Longman won’t see him, and the desk clerk goes up to discuss the matter with her and returns a half an hour later with a payment of $40 (significantly less than the $100 in expenses he had incurred).

Sam takes Landers to stake out the Jefferies’ home. Their view inside is slightly obstructed, but they judge that there are at least two people in residence. Movement within stopped between 10 PM and 7 AM. At 8 AM, a man, presumably Thomas Jefferies, leaves the house to head to his stationary store. A younger man, presumably Mark, leaves shortly thereafter, walking in the direction of Miskatonic University.

When they all meet to exchange information, they decide that Ellie will go to Miskatonic University to try and find information on Mark, Sam and Fitz would head to the stationary shop owned by Thomas Jefferies, and Marabelle and Landers will observe Mary Longman.

At Miskatonic U., Ellie learns that Mark is in his second year of college, focusing on history and social science. He is active and well known on campus.

Marabelle and Landers observe Ms. Longman leaving her apartment building at around 1 PM for a solitary lunch. From there, she goes to the public library and researches local history. After some reading, she leaves the library for her apartment building. They see a “seedy looking character” enter after her, then leave thirty minutes later. They decide to follow him. He leads them to an apartment building on Sentinel St. (which is a bad neighborhood).

Sam and Fitz meet Thomas Jeffries at the stationary shop. The investigators are forthcoming with all the information that has been gathered regarding Mark. Mr. Jefferies is dismissive of any perceived danger, and says that it’s up to Mark to decide whether he wants to meet his birth mother. The investigators leave Jeffries their business cards, in case he wishes to contact them.

The next thing Sam and Fitz will do is to call Ms. Longman and impersonate the local private detective, Kenneth Heath, and arrange a meeting between her and Mark.

Bless the Beasts and Children 2/2
Wherein the investigators follow the trail to Falcon Point

Ellie O’Boyle’s supervisor at the library has reversed himself with regard to Ellie’s attendance at work. The library has even hired an assistant, Susanna Cartwright, to be an assistant to Ellie and cover for her when Ellie needs to be away from work.

The investigators travel the short distance to Falcon Point and there meet some of the locals, including Mike and Sarah Kelso. They spend some time talking with the Kelsos and become suspicious that they may somehow be involved.

After their initial meeting, the investigators surveil the Kelso farm. Eventually, they see Mike Kelso drive off with a loaded wagon along a small path leading into the hills north of the farm. The investigators split up, half hoping to break into the farm house to look around, and half follow the wagon at a distance.
Those at the farm house are confronted by an exasperated Sarah wielding a shotgun and demanding that the investigators leave.
Those following the wagon come up a beach house siting atop a 20-30 foot cliff abutting a beach. The investigators observe Mike and another man unloading the wagon. They also see several children, in the company of at least one adult, playing along the beach. All of a sudden, a pair of scaled, humanoid, fish creatures rise up out of the ocean and come ashore. Far from being afraid of the creatures, some of the children seem quite friendly with them. As might be expected, the appearance of the creatures shocks and alarms the investigators.

A gunfight breaks out between the investigators and the people at the house. Samuel Doherty is seriously injured. The investigators, realizing they are outgunned, retreat to gather weapons and reinforcements.

After the better part of a day back in the village, seeking medical care for Sam and deciding what to do next, they return to the beach house to find it deserted. They find a trap door in the house leading down to a cave that opens to the beach. Found in the cave are a half-dozen spiral notebooks filled with Harold Snowden’s records.

The investigators realize that the children have been taken away by boat. There are no more leads.

Charles Anderson, distraught over the loss of his child, leaves Arkham, choosing not to do business there.

Bless the Beasts and Children 1/2
Wherein the investigators look into the kidnapping of a wealthy industrialist's child

Charles Anerson, a wealthy New York industrialist had come to Arkham to consider locating a planned manufacturing center in town. During his stay, Anderson had been working out of an office provided by Robert Beckworth, located in the Tower Building. Anderson’s wife, June, had been making the rounds of various social gatherings.
One Sunday morning, Carter Anderson, the 14-month-old son of Charles and June, went missing, along with his nanny, Miss Emily Langford.

The investigators become involved by various means.
Ellie O’Boyle’s supervisor reprimands Ellie for being absent from work so much. He warns her that such behavior will not be tolerated.

During the course of the investigation, the investigators become aware of another kidnapping that had taken place 13-14 years earlier. Three years prior to the current case, a young man, aged about 15, was found wandering senselessly through the woods northeast of Arkham. He was identified as Danny Ames, a youngster who had been missing for over ten years.
He was returned to his parents’ home but never recovered his senses. For the most part he was docile but subject to fits of bestial rage. Nothing was ever learned of where he had been those ten years.
When his mother died a year later, the boy was sent to the Massachusetts State Hospital for the Insane near Danvers. Although the official report says the woman died of an accident, it has always been rumored that she was killed by her insane son. The boy’s father subsequently moved out of the area.

The investigators went to visit Danny at the hospital. Upon arriving they were introduced to Dr. Anson Best, Danny’s attending physician. Investigators convinced Dr. Best to allow them to read Danny’s case file.
Investigators were taken to see Danny in his cell. At first, Danny was lucid, talking about the sea, often referring to a cave in which he says he once lived with “them”, and more than once, mentioning “Snowden” and the village of Falcon Point.
At one point during the visit, Danny’s personality took on a distinct change. He flew into a rage and flung himself of the door of the cell, causing the improperly latched door to spring open. Leslie was knocked to the ground by the force of Danny’s attack and suffered a bit to the face.

Checking on the name Snowden, the investigators discover that a Harold Snowden had been the pastor of the Arkham First Baptist Church ten years ago. Snowden had been accused of molesting Danny Ames those many years ago.

The investigators decided to go to Falcon Point to see if any clues were to be found there.

War Buddy 2/2
Wherein the investigators are attacked by wood shadows

The investigators, anticipating a fight at midnight, made a plan to attack the mysterious stranger who was to arrive at midnight. Instead of man, the party encountered two tree spirits which were finally destroyed by dousing the parties weapons in holy water. Ultimately, the group planned for another attack and this time encountered Karl Leblanc. LeBlanc was apprehended and interrogated. The party learned that Blake was the one who hired the men to attack the Father and who had summoned the spirits. LeBlanc is a cult member of the Order of the Ancient Stone and he was there to take the stone. LeBlanc was put in the insane asylum. Upon touching the stone, Ellie got the sense that the stone was orienting her to the East.

War Buddy 1/2
Wherein the investigators receive a desperate letter from an old friend

Samuel Doherty received a letter from a friend from the war, Jack Meredith. The letter talked about “the answer” and Lance Blake, a fellow soldier had stolen an item and given it to Jack(?).

Sammy contacted Jack’s father and learned that Jack had moved to Chicago where he had died of a heart attack. He was found with a look of terror on his face. Jack had given an item to Father Ronald Henessy to keep it safe. Father Henessy had gone to a cabin in Maine.

Research revealed that in 1919 Lance Blake had formed the Order of the Ancient Stone in New York City. They believed there were 6 stones that when brought together opened the door for “it who waits beyond the wall into this world.”

Sammy enlisted the help of Fitz and Ellie to go to the cabin to retrieve the item from Father Henessy. At the cabin, the party found the Father, and retrieved a stone. However, 4 men also arrived at the cabin and tried to kidnap the Father. After a fight, the party was able to subdue three of the men, and learned that these men were hired to capture the Father and wait for someone to meet them at the cabin at midnight.

The Haunted House 2/2
Wherein the investigators come face to face with, and defeat, the source of the mystery

Searching the house, the investigators encountered a number of odd occurrences. In one of the bedrooms upstairs, loud, thumping noises were heard; blood emanated from the walls and ceiling, and when the landlord went to close the bedroom window, the bed shot across the room and knocked the landlord out the window.

Each time the investigators returned to the house, electricity to the basement was switched off. This is in spite of the fact that the investigators left the power on.

In the basement, investigators discovered a ritual dagger. Though the investigators took this knife with them when they left the house, each morning the weapon was missing. Upon returning to the house, the dagger was once again located in the basement.

Breaking through a false wall in the basement, the investigators discovered the dried up corpse of Walter Corbitt. The corpse became animate and attacked the group. The party prevailed in its efforts to destroy the creature.

Ellie picked up a gem that Corbitt had been wearing on a chain around his neck. Upon doing so, the gem disolved, seeming to be absorbed into Ellie’s hand.

A set of Walter Corbitt’s journals were found. Ellie, upon studying them over a period of several weeks learned the formula to “Call Forth the Opener of Ways”.

The Haunted House 1/2
Wherein the investigators come together for the first time

Investigators contacted by the landlord of a house in central Boston. Former inhabitants involved in a tragedy and the landlord wished to understand the mysterious happenings and set matters straight. He hires the investigators to look into the situation and assure him that the house is safe to rent again.

Investigators researched the background of the house, finding the following information:

From the Boston Public Library

  • In 1835, a prosperous merchant builds the house, but immediately falls ill and sells the house to a Mr. Walter Corbitt, esquire.
  • In 1852, Walter Corbitt is sued by neighbors, who petition to force him to leave the area “in consequence of his surious [sic] habits and inauspicious demeanor”.
  • Evidently Corbitt wins the lawsuit. His obituary in 1866 states that he still lived in the same place. It also states that a second lawsuit was being waged to prevent Corbitt from being buried in his basement, as provided by his will.

From the Hall of Records

  • The executor of Corbitt’s will was Reverend Michael Thomas, pastor of the Chapel of Contemplation & Church of Our Lord Granter of Secrets.
  • The Chapel of Contemplation closed in 1912.

From the courthouse (or possibly Central Police Station)

  • Information concerning a secret raid on the Chapel of Contemplation in 1912. Raid happened as a result of affidavits swearing that members of the church were responsible for the disappearances of neighborhood children. During the raid, 3 policemen and 17 church members were killed by gunplay or fire. Autopsy reports are undetailed and uninformative.
  • Though 54 church members of the church were arrested, all but 8 were released. The records hint of illegal intervention in the proceedings by important local officials.
  • Pastor Michael Thomas was arrested and sentenced to 40 years in prison on five counts of second-degree murder. He escaped from prison in 1917 and fled the state.

Upon visiting the neighborhood, investigators met Mr. Dooley, a vendor of cigars and newspapers. Mr. Dooley had lived in the area for many years and was able to point out where the Chapel of Contemplation had been located.


I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.